I WEIGH

September 23, 2018

Hello friends,

Today I wanted to write a post about what I weigh. Now, I'm not talking about my physical weight, because quite frankly I haven't weighed in years! I'm talking about what I, as a person, ACTUALLY weigh. If you haven't heard about the 'I weigh' campaign started by the wonderful Jameela Jamil, read her blog post here: "i-weigh"

It is incredibly sad, disappointing and quite frankly toxic that so much of a person's worth has become so associated with their physical appearance. Humans are continuously being scrutinized for what they look like. How much they weigh. Whether they are too thin, or too fat. Or if they have small boobs. Or big boobs.  A big bum, a small bum. You only have to go on the Daily Mail's website to see the constant criticism launched towards people's appearance. It's such a toxic message that is being sent out, that we must be a certain number on the scales in order to be 'worthy'. Much of a person's self-perception has been tainted by the messages continuously being projected by the media, whether that be by the press or even by social influencers. I mean, I think the abuse Tess Holliday has received for her Cosmo cover is evidence enough. People masking their abusive words as them 'looking out for her health' or 'being concerned for her' just as a way for them to pick away at someone's appearance without being perceived as a bully. She's happy. She's confident. She's beautiful. That's something that should inspire us. The same as if someone of a different body shape was on the cover and is happy. They are worth far more than what they physically weigh. 
I was actually watching Lorraine the other day, and Lorraine had Candice Brown (winner of the Great British Bake Off back in 2016) on as a guest. In the interview, Candice emotionally opened up about the abuse she has received over her weight and appearance after bikini photos of her were released all over the press. It made me so mad. So mad that people think that it's okay to criticise and bully someone over how they look. Why is this okay? How has this become okay? It is so toxic and so disgusting. Candice's interview was really great, so I'll link it here: Candice on 'Body-Shaming'

Through the 'I Weight' campaign Jameela stresses the importance of us thinking past the numbers on the scale when it comes to what we weigh. We need to start celebrating who we are; our achievements, our progress, our relationships, our interests etc. It's all about moving away from being defined by a number, whether that be dress size or weight. It's about actually thinking 'okay, what is good about me? what have I achieved?' It's about saying 'F you' to the ideals and being proud of who YOU are and how YOU look. Life is far too bloody short, and yes, we have our days where we do feel insecure, but it's about not letting those insecurities take away from the celebration of life. The 'I weigh' stories are so inspiring. People of all backgrounds, ages, body shapes, ethnicities, professions etc. coming together and celebrating being them. This can be anything from celebrating being someone who has recovered an eating disorder to taking pride in the fact they have given birth to a child or celebrating their academic achievements or even being proud of their fashion sense. 
I got so inspired by this movement that I thought I'd do one myself...(and I think you should do it too!), here goes:

I WEIGH:

  • laugher (a lot!)
  • chatterbox
  • people person (i love people)!!
  • friend
  • a family member
  • cat lover
  • (animal lover in general!)
  • Vegetarian
  • student (that loves her degree and loves studying!)
  • inspired
  • lover of carbs (and food in general!!)
  • hard-working
  • kind
  • overthinker (working on it!)
  • fitness instructor
  • Zumba instructor
  • qualified PT
  • happy
  • life lover
  • coffee lover
  • feminist
  • lover of Welsh folk music 
  • ABBA lover & Mamma Mia! lover
  • huge Grey's Anatomy, Grace & Frankie, Gilmore Girls, Friends, This is Us, Killing Eve, GBBO, Strictly Come Dancing, Santa Clarita Diet, Scandal, HTGAWM, Vera, Parks and Rec, Modern Family, Gavin & Stacey, Call the Midwife (etc. etc. etc.) fan!! 
  • love Medieval literature
  • listener
  • sensitive 
  • Welsh speaker (and proud!)
  • love clothes
  • self-critical (working on this too!!)
  • outspoken
  • loyal (why does this word now automatically make me think of Georgia from LI??)
  • supportive
  • nerd
  • bonkers
  • a little bit weird
  • bubbly
  • smiler
  • blogger...ish!? 

...and I hope to continue to add to this list in time. There is actually something quite fantastic about seeing a list like this and appreciating WHO YOU ARE, valuing yourself on far more than how you compare to society's construction of an 'ideal' person. Do it. Make one. Whether you post it publically or keep it for yourself, there is something so powerful and inspiring about it. Thank you, Jameela. Please check out the @i_weigh instagram account to get to see all of these inspiring, heart-warming and emotional celebrations of people, by looking 'beyond the flesh on our bones'. 

 Thanks for reading. I hope you liked this post :) I promise my next post won't be as focused on me...!!
YOU ARE AWESOME
♡ ♡ ♡ 


Love always,

Eve

Wanna hear more from me? 
I'm on twitter: click here
& I'm on instagram: click here

xxx




You Might Also Like

0 comments