Haia Eve- The importance of my culture

July 05, 2014

Hello everyone,

Today I thought that I'd do a different post to my average. It's a topic that I've desperately wanted to post about, but have been nervous of if it will be enjoyed by you lot. Doubts aside, this post is very important to me, very close to my heart, thus decided it would be an appropriate one to share.

You may or may not know that I come from South Wales...


Don't know anything about Wales? 
Wales is a part of the United Kingdom, it is NOT a part of England. Wales is it's own individual country. This is the country where the likes of Catherine Zeta Jones, Tom Jones, Dylan Thomas, Duffy, Keith Allen (Lily Allen's dad), Charlotte Church, Alex Jones, Ruth Jones, Michael Sheen, Gareth Bale and many more come from.




Any Doctor Who fans? Russel T Davies is WELSH. 
A lot of the Doctor Who filming takes place in Cardiff (the capital)

Harry Potter fans? 
Remember this location from Deathly Hallows??....
It's in Wales!!!

And yes, Wales is the main location in Gavin & Stacey and Stella 

-----

So now you've learnt a little about Wales. 
Here's a VERY sad fact...

Welsh is the language of Wales and the amount of Welsh speakers is decreasing...


The above maps show the percentages of Welsh speakers in 1961 and in 2001, the decrease is obvious, the saddest thing...

It is continuing to decrease.

I can understand that people in Wales don't speak Welsh, the thing I really struggle to understand is that those who can speak it, don't even bother to make any effort to speak it. 

I am not writing this post to have a go at people who don't speak Welsh, not at all. I only really discovered my love and respect for the language last year, before then I hardly made any effort at speaking it day to day. My main reason for writing this post is to preach the importance of the language to Wales and the Welsh culture. I mean how cool is it to have our very own language? 

"Cenedl Heb Iaith, Cenedl Heb Galon"
"A Nation Without a Language, A Nation Without a Heart"

Thanks for reading!

Cariad,
Eve xx

CARIAD= LOVE


Here's a little poem I wrote...

Heb Gymru

Heb iaith, heb hiraeth
Heb ddiwylliant, heb daith
Heb hanes, heb barch
Heb gariad, heb falchder
Heb ddraig, heb gerdd
Heb ffydd, heb fardd.

Atgofion o hir nôl bydd yr iaith,
anghofio gwir ystyr pob gair.

Neb yn siwr am Gymru fach;
Anghofio’r diwylliant,
Anghofio’r cariad.

Neb yn deall symbol y faner;
Wedi colli’r gerddoiaeth swynol
Colli’r fydd mewn posibilrwydd i Gymru fach.
Rhoi lan.
Dyma fydd ei ddiwedd.
Beth yw Cymru?
Beth yw’r Gymraeg?
Hanes o hir nôl
A neb yn ei gofio.


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Love this as a fellow welsh blogger xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Brilliant! Thank you VERY much! Really lovely to have a welsh reader and fellow blogger! X

      Delete